Saturday, November 8, 2008

Carne Asada

So it looks like I'm back on my cooking run- hold onto your drool! I am still encountering the same issue of photographing and cooking and eating all at the same time... the photos are not quite what I would hope them to be. In all my eagerness to swiftly capture the visual essence of the food before satisfying the rest of my senses, I find the minor imperfections that could easily be forgiven with a little finger swiping and licking in all other cases linger on in the photo. *Sigh*

Let there be carne asada!



There are probably more than 100 ways to make carne asada, to marinate the meat, and the toppings that can go on top are plentiful. If you'd like to know how I made mine, here is the general recipe. I eyeball my measurements in almost all of my cooking, so not much can be said for accuracy in the recipe, but I'll do my best to provide general estimates:

Take 1 lb. of ranchera steak/skirt steak, and place in bowl. Dice a quarter of an onion finely, add to the meat. Sprinkle garlic salt lightly over each piece of meat, add in the juice of two limes, 2 pinches of cumin, a few splashes of Worcestershire sauce, freshly ground black pepper, and if you're feeling a little gringo, a splash or two of A1 sauce- the kind with cracked black pepper flavoring is nice. Mix it all up, let it stand- the longer the better, then grill it all up till done, chop it into pieces, and there you go. Put the meat on some warm corn tortillas, add a dollop or two of Mexican cream, a little pico de gallo or salsa of some sort and you have a delicious, and very affordable little meal. 1 lb. of meat serves 2-3 people.

No comments: